Monday, March 12, 2012

Fishes!

Diggory and I met up with our friends Rachel and Max today for a morning stroll through the National Aquarium in downtown Washington, DC. Located in a somewhat hidden location, in the basement on the Commerce Building on 14th Street, the aquarium displays more than 200 species of marine and freshwater fish, reptiles and amphibians. I've walked past the entrance several many times and always wondered what it was like (and I've heard more than a few less than glowing reviews), so I was happy to finally take the plunge. And I'm happy to report that we had a superb visit.


From the picture above, you'll notice that the Commerce Building is currently undergoing extensive renovations. The aquarium itself was revamped in 2008, and I'm told that it will get another makeover in the coming years. So, when you arrive, don't be put off by the construction and make your way through the tunnel and up the ramp. Once inside the doors (which are automatically operated and thus, stroller friendly, make your way through security and take the elevator to the basement, or "B" level. You'll pay your admission fee at the desk just outside the elevator. I found an excellent street parking spot on Constitution and 12th Street, and because I didn't have to pay upwards of $20.00 to park in a ramp, I didn't mind paying the $9.95 entrance fee. Actually, I don't really mind anyway. So many of the DC museums are free that I'm usually not annoyed to shell out a few dollars at the ones that aren't in an effort to support my local museums. Plus, your receipt will get you in and out of the aquarium all day long, so if you come in the morning, you can come back for the 2pm feeding. Check the website or ask at the admissions desk about what's on the menu and for what animals.

The gift shop and restrooms are near the admissions desk. The ladies room seemed a bit tight, but the changing table looked pretty accessible. If you want more room, find the family restroom on the ground level (where you came in) just behind the security desk. The main exhibit space is to the right of the elevator and past the restrooms. If you turn left, you'll find yourself in Sherman's Lagoon, a colorful and interactive space which presents information on shark conservation. There are also a few benches there, in case you need a place to rest. Interestingly enough, there's also an ATM, just FYI.

The main exhibition space is basically a big, dimly lit room with tanks around the perimeter and in the center of the room. The vast majority of the tanks comprise the main exhibit, America's Aquatic Treasures, which presents the species and habitats found in several of the nation's marine sanctuaries such as the Florida Everglades and Channel Islands. There are also several tanks of fish, frogs, and snakes from all over the world. The special exhibition, now on view through April 29th, is titled Secrets of the Swamp. It's just one tank, but it houses a rare albino alligator named Oleander. The tank is right at stroller level, and Diggory thought the little snapper was pretty thrilling.

Only a few of the tanks are viewable at floor level, but most of the other tanks have ledges where babies and toddlers can sit or stand to better see the species. In fact, one such ledge became the VIP viewing area for Diggory and Max to witness a frog feeding. Scamper away little buggies! Run for your lives!

Diggory, Max, and the other little kids I saw in the aquarium seemed most intrigued by the big tanks of big fish. There was a particularly entertaining white fish in one of the last tanks we stopped by. I, on the other hand, really liked seeing the tiny poisonous frogs. Or maybe I liked that they were in a tank. I recall telling Rachel I wouldn't last very long in the rain forest.

After our visit, we decided to enjoy the sunshine and feed the babes a snack in the courtyard of the Reagan Building, just across 14th Street from the Commerce Building. If you need food, there's all sorts of restaurants and coffee shops along Pennsylvania Avenue or points north, or inside the Old Post Office Building, at the corner of 12th Street and Pennsylvania Ave.

My meter was running out, so I headed home after our visit and quick picnic. If I had more time, I may have been tempted to check out any of the Smithsonian museums nearby. My car was directly across from the American History Museum, and I could almost hear it whispering my name. Next time perhaps, as I've yet to check that one of my Museum + Momma list. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome recap! There's also a nice food court in the Reagan Building. If people park in the Reagan garage, make sure to park in the 14th Street valet area. That will get you to the right place when you get above ground.

    ReplyDelete