Monday, April 16, 2012

Whirlwind!

It has been exactly one month since my last post. Yikes! I certainly didn't mean for this to happen, and I have to admit that I'm slightly embarrassed. Playing the drama queen a little bit, I feel like I've let myself down - and I don't want to disappoint my seven followers, who undoubtedly have soaring expectations of my abilities as a blogger. Ha! (Whoa, just had a moment, I guess I can officially call myself a "blogger," yes?) But, have no fear, I have actually been going to museums, and I have every intention of playing catch up in the coming days (and, more likely, weeks.) I may have skipped a museum visit for a week or so, but I hope you can forgive me.

Let me explain...

First of all, my computer hard drive crashed on March 16th. Yes, the day of my last blog post. (And, despite the reassurances of my loving husband, I'm pretty sure it was my fault.) See, I was trying to find some awesome clip art online for my new business cards or my presentation at the Virginia Association of Museums conference (I can't exactly remember which), and I may have inadvertently downloaded something shady. Two hours later, my computer started doing funny things and then pretty much stopped working altogether. My husband said it was acting more like a mechanical problem, not a virus, but still...coincidence? I think not. Also, I never did find that cool clip art.

To complicate matters, Nathan (my husband and my trusty computer guru) took this opportunity to rebuild BOTH of our computers. So, the last several weeks have been consumed with tinkering - on his part - not mine. And on any given day, one or both computers is spread out on our living room floor in about a thousand different parts, and we're invariably waiting for some integral part to come in the mail. I think now it's safe to say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but yet, I think I should tell you all now, that my computer may be out of commission again at any moment, and I'll once again be delayed in my blog post writing. Just wanted to come clean and give you a warning now.

See, my momma took a picture of me at VAM! I'm a nerd, and I don't care.

The second part of my excuse is that my mom and my aunt Sally came to visit from March 17th through the 21st. I dragged them to Newport News to play babysitters while I was giving my session at the VAM conference on the 18th, and then we returned to DC for a whirlwind of sightseeing! We visited most of the major monuments, memorials, and iconic buildings - though our number one priority was visiting the Tidal Basin to view the stunning cherry blossoms. It was a sight to behold, as it always is.

Day one we took the metro to L'Enfant Plaza, and walked to the Tidal Basin along the National Mall, stopping for pictures at the Washington Monument. Then it was the WWII Memorial, reflecting pool, Vietnam Memorial, and Lincoln Monument. As if that wasn't enough, we walked to the Renwick Gallery at 17th and Pennsylvania Ave., then passed the White House, and stopped for a salad and refreshing adult beverage at the Old Ebbitt Grill. Then, we hoofed it past the Old Post Office Building, and quickly stopped at the National Gallery of Art to visit Degas's Little Dancer. Then back to the metro and home. Yes, that was only one day.

Day two we took the metro to Capitol South, went inside the Capitol Visitors Center (though we decided to forgo the actual tour of the Capitol itself), took the long tunnel into the Library of Congress (Jefferson Building), stopped in front of the Supreme Court Building, and then walked to Union Station for lunch. Then we took the metro to Dupont Circle and visited Anderson House, and then we WALKED to Georgetown, past Dumbarton House, and stopped for a lemonade at Le Pain Quotidien on M Street. We walked the whole length of M Street and took the Key Bridge into Rosslyn, hopped on the metro to get back to the car, which I had parked at the Pentagon City Fashion Centre. Yes, that was only one day, too.

Day three we wandered Old Town Alexandria - more relaxed, but still, we deserved it. I'm not actually going to count any of our museum visits as actually blog worthy visits. When I blog about them, I want to do it thoroughly...So, I guess I'll just have to take Diggory back for round two.

The following weeks I took Diggory to the Artisphere in Rosslyn with our friends Rachel and Max to see the Frida Kahlo exhibition, and also to the Frying Pan Farm Park in Herndon with a bunch of historic house mommies and their babies. I need to write separate posts for those outings, however, because the photos are on a different hard drive, that is in Nathan's computer, that isn't all put back together yet, and then they need to be networked. See...it's complicated. Until then, I suppose you'll just have to be patient. Sigh.

I did take a week or so off from museuming with the babe. I was just too darn tired (Diggory decided to stop sleeping through the night), and I got busy with some other things on my plate. I have great plans to visit at least one museum this week, weather permitting, and then hopefully we'll get all caught up and back on track. So, farewell...for now.

Here's me and Diggory with the cherry blossoms. Note the pink stripes on his polo to match the blooms. Yes, sometimes I am THAT mom.


Aunt Sally, me, and Diggory at the U.S. Capitol and Capitol Visitors Center.


At the White House.


Enjoying a farewell brew.



1 comment: